Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Questioning Myself

On my single mom life blog, I wrote about the mutiny that is occurring at my house with my daughter and getting dressed in the morning. I know that most kids have a phase where they are unreasonable about clothes, or want to wear the same thing every day etc... but it is days like today with the full meltdown over the lack of a t-shirt, that I wonder how am I going to be able to do this with another kid in the house...

This past weekend was spent just ML and I, hanging out, going to the zoo, watching a hockey game, visiting family. In the midst of having a great weekend with my little girl, my thoughts turn to questions, can I do all this with 2 in tow? Will I be taking away from ML with the addition of a new family member that will need so much of me? I know how much she will gain from having a sibling, but I worry that she will lose more ...

Does everyone have thoughts like this?

It is good that I know it won't be rainbows and sunshine all the time with kids, and I know that ML has provided me with a good 'boot camp' training readying me for another child. I know that we will just find a way that works for all of us, but it is days like these that I question my ability.

This questioning doesn't change my heart. I want more kids. I want to adopt. I think I am just looking for some re-assurance, that I can do this.

2 comments:

Ricki said...

Hmmm, one thing I can tell you is I think it is way more beneficial for a child to have siblings. My sister has 3 girls (one that is 6 years old) and my husbands brother has one girl (who is also 6 years old). I know that it is not the same for all but our niece who is an only child is sooo mature for her age (she spends most of her non-school time with adults) that it saddens me cuz I think she is missing out on being a child. I just see such a big difference between my sister's kids and hubby's brother's kid that I think all children should have at least one sibling. Anyway just my observations from our own little family situation.
However, I don't blame you for being a little nervous about the whole thing. Most days I am freaking out about all of a sudden going from 0 to 2 children overnight (and I have a second pair of hands in the house).
Ricki

Ricki said...

Oh yeah, and I've just tagged you. Check out my blog for the details!
Ricki