Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Should I Just Buy Everyone I Know a Book?

SO I was speaking to someone about my adoption plans today, let's call her T. And T said "so you know S.? She has a friend who adopted from Ethiopia and they were told that their daughter has to be tested for HIV for 6-7 years as that is how long it sometimes takes to show up".

Now I said I don't believe that is accurate, but all I hear from her is "well I don't think someone who has adopted a baby from Africa is ill informed about this Tanya"!!

I suck at the answering these questions. Especially with people I am close to. As I don't want to be defensive and I don't want to argue...

I feel like going and buying EVERYONE I know a copy of either 28: Stories Of Aids In Africa or There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children!!!




2 comments:

Barbara said...

what to say, what to say. hmmmm. I know - ok, on the bright side, throughout the adoption process you are meeting lots of new people and expanding your circle of friends and so even if you keep your old annoying ones (and they all have their good points, so you probably should) the ratio of annoying ones to total friends will become smaller and smaller over time. :)

Sharla said...

We actually did buy 30 copies of There Is No Me Without You and have been circulating them around to pretty much everyone we know because there is no way that people listen to what we say. They just glaze over when we start talking about the adoption or Ethiopia but the book has been really eye-opening for those who did read it.