Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ask and you shall find....

Well after writing that post yesterday, I have found 2 resources I hope can help me with the commenters I wrote about.

The first was from Sandra at adoptionblogs.com. In her blog post she references some great material to teach your kids about tolerance, you can have it mailed to you for a $5 (USD) shipping charge, or it is available for download on the site, but I can't get it to work... I will try again when I get home.

The other I found on anti-racist parent. It references a book I have ordered, that if it is as good as I think it might be, I will forward to some of the people I spoke of yesterday. I am hoping that it at least helps start a diaolgue. I will post a review and let you know if it is well received. Here is the quote that anti-racist parent had on their site.


A final fear has probably always haunted white people but has become more powerful since the society has formally rejected overt racism: The fear of being seen, and seen-through, by non-white people. Virtually every white person I know, including white people fighting for racial justice and including myself, carries some level of racism in our minds and hearts and bodies. In our heads, we can pretend to eliminate it, but most of us know it is there. And because we are all supposed to be appropriately anti-racist, we carry that lingering racism with a new kind of fear: What if non-white people look at us and can see it? What if they can see through us? What if they can look past our anti-racist vocabulary and sense that we still don’t really know how to treat them as equals? What if they know about us what we don’t dare know about ourselves? What if they can see what we can’t even voice?


from The Fears of White People by Robert Jensen

No comments: