Friday, July 6, 2007

Rumours

Just when I think I have finally made a decision...

While I was on vacation with ML, I did a lot of thinking and soul searching. After all what else is a girl to do after the little one goes to bed and there is no Internet!! I had finally decided that Haiti is from where my heart is being pulled. Filled out the paper work to start the adoption process, chose the orphanage that I wanted to adopt from, and felt really good about it all. Happy that I was finally able to make a decision.

Then on a email group I belong to, the rumours are flying that an old law of Haiti's from 1974 is being enforced, again, starting July 3, 2007. Part of this law states that anyone with a biological child cannot adopt. Obviously if this is true it will break my heart. I know that the Haitian government has enforced this law in the past, then a few months later has relaxed. There is also rumblings that they are actually in the process of creating new laws.

All rumours at this point, no one can tell me yet whether this is true or not.

So, am I back to thinking about Ethiopia again??

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Yes, we have heard from our agency that the person in one part of the process (Ministry of Interior) will not approve dossiers that don't meet the 1974 rules, however that excludes 90% of the families! People are writing letters to request to be exempted. I believe that these rules will be changed or once again relaxed (this is a pattern of relaxing and enforcing these rules which is part of a power struggle), or that the person who has the problem with adoptions will be replaced. Agencies and orphanages are dealing with this situation in different ways, but in the long run, I think that the restrictions will not hold. I am adopting from both Haiti & Ethiopia, and they are very different processes!! I just keep taking things one day at a time and moving through the steps with as few expectations as possible. The end result is definitely woth it!! Best wishes in your decision!

ferenge mama said...

This is crazy!!

(I found you via Haze, by the way...)

I can't believe they would keep anyone with bio kids from adopting!

I actually have a friend in the US Embassy in Haiti, and I'm going to shoot her an email about this to see if I can find anything out...

Before I do, can you send me a summary of what the rumor is? I don't belong to the Haiti yahoo groups, so can't read what folks are saying.

(you can email me at yoporter at gmail dot com...)

Leslie said...

This is where you can find the 1974 law: http://www.2girlsandawebsite.com/blog_stuff/1974.html

And the IBESR blog (unofficial blog set up by a mom in the process) is providing updates on where things are: http://ibesr-updates.blogspot.com/

hazel said...

Gawd, it's always something. Please keep us posted on this. What a DRAG!

Reid said...

Have you read Sherrie's blog "Everyday Miracle?" She and her writing are amazing and adopted from Haiti. If you page back a bit you can read her adoption story.

mama2roo